May 21, 2011

A Long Life

My momma is one of the best people I know. She is such a good person, saint-like really. She has such a good heart and always tries to do the right thing. I love to talk to her about things because she always gives me good advice, a good perspective.

We went out the other night for dinner and I was talking to her about getting married and how I stress about affording a nice wedding. I also told her how all my friends expect a big ring and I thought I did too but I'm not really sure if that matters to me She told me, "Liz, marriage is not about the ring or the party. If that's what you are focused on then you shouldn't be getting married. Marriage is about a long life together and if you love the person it shouldn't matter where you get married or how big your ring is. And remember it is a very long life." She went on further to explain where diamonds come from and it's true that people die and suffer to distribute diamonds. All that should matter is the love. That made me feel a lot better. She is right. I shouldn't stress about superficial things or care what others think. It doesn't matter.

She's always there to ground me, bring me back to reality and remind me what is important in life. People, not things. Love, not money. A long life together, not one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment