June 19, 2011

A New Kind of Tradition

I think it is so important to take time to honor the people in our lives that we love. In this day and age where the traditional family is not always the majority, I think days like mother's day and father's day should become a symbol for a larger spectrum. Don't feel pressure to have what traditional society calls a mother and father; maybe you have two dads, two moms, a single mom, a single dad, aunts, uncles, friends..whatever it may be it does not mean you don't have someone to honor on these days.

God may not always give us what we want but He always gives us what we need. So, if days like today tug at your heart a little because you feel like you are lacking that traditional figure, take another look from a different perspective and I bet you have people in your life that have mothered or fathered you, loved you and have been there for you that make up for an absent parent. I've always said a family doesn't always necessarily mean blood and just because we call them grandpa, uncle, cousin, friend doesn't mean they can't fill a void in us that someone else should if we let them.

Happy Father's Day to all the men and women who have fathered me through the years..I love you all and am so blessed to have you in my life. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment