June 02, 2011

Strike

You know that kind of thunder that shakes the ground and sends a piercing sense of panic through your body? I used to hate that kind of thunder. We had quite a storm a few days ago and it got me thinking about a special memory I have of my mom and brother..

We had just moved into our apartment in Malverne, it was just me, my mom and my brother for the first time. There was a thunderstrom in the middle of the night that knocked out the power on the block. I was about 6 and my brother was 2 ..we were freaking out. I think my mom was a little nervous as well. I remember sitting on our kitchen floor with my moms arms wrapped around each of us, holding us tightly while she whispered words of reassurance. Reassurance that wasn't helping with the impending sence of doom we were experiencing. That's when she told us that we had no reason to be scared because thunder is actually angels bowling and the really loud ones are strikes and we should cheer for them. There we were sitting on a cold floor, lights out in the middle of the night yelling "strike!" at each crack..laughing and playing. A fear made fun.

It must have been hard to be a single mom in moments like those. I'm grateful to my mom for that night. I remember feeling safe in her arms. It is one of my favorite memories from my childhood. Still to this date when I hear an earth shaking crack I can't help but smile and I always think..strike!

No comments:

Post a Comment