February 08, 2010

Learning to Fly

Birds learn how to fly much like a human toddler learns to walk - a combination of instinct and practice. Most birds cannot fly until their muscle structure has had time to develop. In the meantime, the nest becomes their entire world. Baby birds are not responsible for food gathering or protection of the nest, so they generally develop a psychological dependence they must overcome. The bird has been nurtured so much that they do not know their own ability.

For the last six months I have been taught, nurtured and guided every step of the way at my new job. I have become comfortable under someone else's wing, it's safe there. The time has come, however, to start on my own and to say I am scared is an understatement. As humans we make mistakes. There is no room for mistakes in the nursing world. As a repeat mistake offender in other areas of my life you can see why I am a tad nervous.

I decided that the closest thing I can compare it to is driving. For a year we have our permit and we are under the safety and guidance of an experienced person. They are there for tips and reassurance of our next move. I'll never forget how scary it was to drive alone in my car without someone there. It took me awhile to get comfortable. I was cautious and tried to recall everything I was taught because there is no room for mistakes on the road. I remember thinking to myself, I'll never be comfortable but sure enough the time came where I was. I had instincts and knowledge that I never knew I had until I was out there on my own.

At the end of the day, we don't know our true potential and ability until we step out of our comfort zone and navigate things on our own. It's going to be scary, it's going to be uncomfortable but at some point we have to trust that we have been prepared for the moment in question ..we have to accept the push, spread our wings and fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment