February 11, 2010

Snow Days

New York was hit with a mild snow storm over the last two days; a total of about 14 inches and blizzard like conditions were reported. Just another winter in the north. All my life I have welcomed these storms. I'd wear my pajamas inside out and look out the window every hour throughout the night with hopes of seeing conditions that would bring news to free me of my responsibilities for the day. As a kid, snow days have meant no school, sledding, snow ball fights, snow men, junk food, and movie marathons. In more recent years they have been...well, all that same stuff with a little alcohol mixed in.

Instinctually I was excited over the news of the approaching storm, however, I sadly learned over the last two days that there are no such things as "snow days" when your a nurse. It's something I always knew but didn't quite want to believe. Hospitals can't close for horrific weather and driving conditions. Get to work ..no excuses. Ouch!

I never thought I'd see the day where I cross my fingers in hopes that the weatherman overestimated the number of inches or wish the storm would just miss us all together...I'm sad to report that day is here.

I'll miss you snow days. Winter just wont be the same without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment