April 30, 2015

So That's What They Meant...

So there a few things I heard about motherhood that I didn't fully understand until I became a mother.

1.  "Enjoy your sleep while you can"  uh huh.  Who ever coined the term "I slept like a baby" obviously never had children.  It's almost like your baby knows when you want to sleep and decides to wake up at that exact time.  Yes, they sleep a lot.  But in the beginning the longest stretch is three hours.  Rylan is 7 months old and sleeping 10-12 hour stretches. woo hoo!  but as a mother you still dont sleep!  I find myself continuously waking up frequently to check the monitor.  For what? to make sure she's still there, still human, I dont know.  As I look at my husband sleeping soundly I have realized that once you become a mother you will never really sleep well again. I dont want to sleep like a baby I just want to sleep like my husband.

2.  "The love is like no other"  I mean I have loved people in my life.  Rylan could murder a litter of puppies (and we all know how I feel about animals) and I would still love her to the point of exhaustion.  She's got me.  I'm hooked.  I would do anything for that sweet girl. Frank looked at me other day after looking at the baby monitor and said "don't take this the wrong way but I have never loved anyone more than I love that little girl"  It just is. You can't explain it.  It's just the purest form of love there is.

3.  "Your body will never be the same"   but really, it wont.  I mean think of the process of pregnancy and birth for a second...how could it?  Not to say it's not totally worth it.  There are just things about my body I have said goodbye to and other things I have accepted.  I also have a whole new respect for my body for going through this whole process and knowing what to do when I didn't.  For giving my baby exactly what she needs without me even having to think about it.  Its pretty freaking awesome if you ask me.

4.  "You will be lucky if you get to shower"  I always found a way to make this happen.  I can see how its tricky but I just needed it to happen every day, especially after the whole birthing a child process.  I just needed to shower to feel good and my husband knew I needed 20 min every morning.  20 minutes is not so much to ask for given everything we do in a day as moms.  Am I right?  Demand your 20 minutes ladies.

5. "Kiss your social life goodbye, your life changes forever"  I mean yes I no longer go out to bars, clubs etc but the thing they leave out is you could care less.  All I want to do was be with her and my husband anyway.  You couldnt pay me to leave her in the beginning.  As she got older and I slowly started develop my very short list of people I trusted to babysit, yes, I ventured out to dinners, drinks w/ people who could talk back to me etc but even then the whole time I thought about her and couldn't wait to get home to her.  Motherhood changes you.  What you find "fun" is different.  What you consider a perfect weekend night is forever changed but you wouldn't have it any other way.





No comments:

Post a Comment